2-day course, on-demand
With extensive illustrations and case studies, this 16-hour course provides exhaustive coverage of the design, construction, technology and industry trends of steel and prestressed-concrete bridges built by incremental launching. You will learn under which circumstances is bridge launching a competitive solution, will explore the other construction methods for medium-span prestressed-concrete bridges, and will compare alternatives in preparation of successful value engineering sessions.
The course explains how to control self-weight bending and shear with launch noses, temporary piers and front cable-stayed systems, and how to optimize their interaction with the deck. It discusses the Reduced Transfer Matrix method for parametric launch stress analysis, the global and local launch stability of steel girders, and launch post-tensioning, deck segmentation and different organizations of the casting facility for prestressed-concrete bridges. The course also explores geometric launchability criteria, launch bearings and guides for steel and prestressed-concrete bridges, thrust systems, and how to control the deck movements during uphill and downhill launching.
The course delivers a unique wealth of knowledge, learning and insights extracted from three decades of design and construction of launched bridges and my three books on the topic. Richly illustrated with dozens of photographs and case studies, the course is constantly top-rated for material and presentation.
- I was privileged to attend Marco's 2-day seminar in San Francisco last year. Whilst we do make use of incremental launching in South Africa, the additional insights provided by Marco were extremely valuable, as was the extensive treatment of the whole range of launched bridges. His practical experience, wonderful illustrations and excellent documentation have been very helpful; I can only commend Marco for sharing his talent and insight - Henry de Wet, Structural Engineer, RCE Consultants (South Africa)
- The course was extremely informative about a topic you can't learn about elsewhere. The instructor is highly knowledgeable and top notch - Gary Gardner, PE, MS Consultants Inc. (Canada)
- Great overview and resource to stimulate thought when selecting bridge type - Timothy Hayes, Senior Project Manager, Walsh Construction (USA)
- This course was an excellent introduction to bridge launching. Did a great job of showing when it is cost-effective or applicable, and showing alternates. Also great teaching on technical aspects of launching, and design principles - Angela Hunter, Design Engineer, Kiewit Infrastructure Co. (USA)
- The seminar provided a great summary of the incremental launching method. I even managed to consult with Marco on a personal project and receive inspiration on a possible solution - Kostadin Marinov, Project Manager, Doka Gmbh (Austria)
Addressing the needs of bridge owners, designers and construction professionals, the course covers each stage of the design and construction of launched bridges and provides an exciting occasion for face-to-face interaction and participating in a true learning experience while earning continuing education credits.
- Launch of steel and PC bridges
- Alternative construction methods
- Geometry requirements
- Launch bearings and guides
- Thrust force and launch techniques
- Control and correction of launch stresses
- Analysis of launch stresses
- Incremental launching of steel bridges
- PC bridges: deck segmentation
- PC bridges: casting stages
- PC bridges: launch and integrative post-tensioning
For reservation and pricing, do not hesitate to contact us.